Welcoming a new member to the family is always an exciting time, but as a parent it can also cause worry on trying to determine what's best for your delicate baby. As a parent you want to ensure that they are as comfortable and as safe as can be. This includes the fabrics you choose for their clothing, bedding and accessories. Their skin is very delicate and sensitive so choosing the right fabrics is crucial. In this blog post we will detail the five best fabrics for their skin and how to care for them when washing.
1. Organic Cotton:
Organic cotton is a top choice for newborns. It's soft, breathable and hypoallergenic. This makes it ideal for preventing skin irritations and allergies. Caring for it is even easier by simply machine washing with a mild detergent to keep it soft and gentle.
Known for its ultra-soft and silky texture, bamboo is naturally moisture-wicking and hypoallergenic. This makes it perfect for keeping your little one comfortable. Bamboo fabrics can be machine washed on gentle cycle using a mild detergent. Please avoid using bleach to maintain its natural softness.
3. Merino Wool:
Considered a marvel of nature, merino wool is temperature regulating which means it keeps your bundle of joy warm in the winter and cool in the summer. In addition to these amazing features it is also flame-resistant and odor-repellent. Caring for this fabric requires the use of a gentle wool-specific detergent and hand washing or machine washing on delicate cycle in cold water.
This lightweight, breathable cotton fabric is perfect for swaddling your baby. It's versatile and gets softer with each wash, making it the perfect choice for your baby's delicate skin. This fabric can be machine washed in cold water on gentle cycle and tumble dried on low making it easy to maintain.
5. Jersey Knit:
Soft and stretch, jersey knit provides a cozy fit for your most precious little one. Often used for onesies and sleepwear, jersey knit can be machine washed in cold water and tumble dried on low to prevent shrinking.
Here are Additional Care Tips for Newborn Fabrics:
- Wash Before Wear: Wash any new clothing and bedding before use to remove any residual chemicals or dust that may come from the manufacturing of the product.
- Use a Mild Detergent: A gentle, fragrance-free detergent is designed for newborn items to prevent skin irritation.
- Avoid Fabric Softeners: Fabric softeners can leave a residue on fabrics that can cause skin irritations to your precious little one.
- Choose Cold Water: Cold water prevents color fading and fabric damage.
- Dry in Shade: Direct sunlight can fade colors and weaken fabrics. If hanging clothes to dry please make sure to do so inside.
- Wash Separately: Baby items should be washed separately from adult clothing to prevent contamination.
Selecting the best fabrics and caring for them properly is essential for the comfort and safety of your most valued little one. The five fabrics listed above are gentle on their delicate skin ensuring your bundle of joy can enjoy a comfortable and irritation-free start in their fashion journey.